A place to share my writing as it happens.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Far from Perfect

The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
-1 John 4:18b

When I first came across this verse in my search for Bible verses that were applicable to fear, it slapped me in the face like a cold washcloth. There seems to be no shortage of events or terrors that could befall us at any moment. Death, even, could be only a pulmonary embolism or sudden brain aneurysm away! We could get extremely concerned for our well-being as "breakable boys and girls" as Ingrid Michaelson puts it if we allow ourselves and believe me, I have allowed myself. It would be shameful to recount the many minutes, hours, even days that I've spent worrying over circumstances that were far beyond my control. As I continually look to what the definition of love might encompass, I realize that one of the incredible facets of love is found in its openness. When I think of what to be "made perfect in love" means, I believe it centers around the role of being an open source of Jesus' love and light to a hurting world.
There have been no shortage of Albuquerque natives giving us the 'lowdown' on safety here in the city. "Unfortunately, you can't trust anyone," an ER nurse told us with a resigned sigh. "Sad but true." The story of why we were interacting with an ER nurse is another story for another day (let's just say that car accidents leave a trail of injuries that do not necessarily present themselves on the scene!) but her statement sunk deep in my heart. It was confirmation of the behavior that I had already been displaying upon our arrival--furtive glances left and right, constant checking that the car doors are locked, jumping up at the first sound of life outside of our apartment door--and made me think about how Jesus would behave if He were in Albuquerque. I envision him walking boldly down the streets without fear, engaging others in an open, loving manner and giving trust to his fellow man and above all, to God. It's embarrassing to recognize how different I have been acting. While there is always value in safety and being aware of your surroundings, there is no value in fear, paranoia and general worry. If our model of living is Christ--the representation of perfection on Earth--then this verse in 1 John seems to give us the way to try and achieve His perfection. Being made perfect IN LOVE. It is not being made perfect in intellect, in success, even in securing ourselves a safe existence. So instead of sitting here, holding onto the fear that I've generated inside, I can rely on the promise that not only as I grow to be made perfect in love, fear will subside but also the earlier part of 1 John 4:18 that promises, "perfect love casts out fear." And there it is! Another way that God provides for us fallible humans. Not only are we taught HOW to cast aside fear within ourselves, He also gives us His perfect love to do it for us (i.e. Jesus Christ). There is definite power found when a piece of Scripture resonates so soundly in our current situations. This was mine tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment